Thursday, August 19, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:

Unless you are involved with a person who has Alzheimer's, no one understands what you are going through. A neighbor, or a family member has no idea how your life has changed. They have no idea how much responsibility you have 24hrs a day 7 days a week. Let me go back to February 4, 2003.

My daughter Gina called me at work this morning to tell me that Grandpa has been up since 5 a.m. He's mad at her because she won't "call the bus company." I kept her on the phone till I got home. When I got home I gave Dad his coffee but he was still mad -- now, because I wasn't calling the bus company.

He ranted on saying, "The bus just left and there are no more drivers! A women is waiting for the bus!" I told him I had no idea what he was talking about, but he was mad and wouldn't listen to me. He got louder and angrier. Periodically, he'd say "Fine!" and then refuse to talk to me for a while. Then he'd start all over again.

I finally got him settled in his chair and gave him his coffee. Then he accused me of trying to get him fired. As I poured the coffee, he threw it at me and spilled it all over the table. I poured another cup, hoping to calm him but he continued to complain and argue. Sometimes I argued back and sometimes I ignored him. I made him sit in his chair and would not let him get up. He ranted and raved about the army and how he fought two world wars for scum like me.

He can really talk a person down when he gets like this. He said he was going to call the police and grabbed the TV remote controller to use as something to talk into. He pretended to take some imaginary "thing" from his belt. He would "talk" into that and then put it back. He yelled and whistled for the police.

I had to take Gina to school and Dad would not get up out of his chair. I was tired and didn't want to fight with him anymore, so I left him at home. When I got back I found Dad in the laundry room pulling clean clothes out to the basket and mixing them with the dirty ones.

This was a bad day. With Alzheimer's they have their good and bad days. But family members who are not involved won't understand the frustration and guilt that you deal with. Just remember you are not alone. Find your self a support group so you can get some ideas or to vent.

Here is a video of Grandpa Joe. It shows him dancing in a lounge to how his mind gets so confused he can not put a puzzle together or open the front door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dWlsgM9LA

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: