Saturday, April 23, 2011

Alzheimer's Blog:

Taking care of a loved one with this disease is devastating. Do you ever question yourself about the decisions you make or how you talk to someone whether with a nice tone or not.  I remember getting angry with Grandpa Joe, and I would not want to talk to him. It wouldn't take long before the guilt would control me and make me remember that he does not know what he is doing. I would have to remind myself, it is not his fault.

Yet there were times I think I would see in his eyes, that he was lying to me, or he would be sneaking around quietly trying to get into something that I put off limits.  It is so hard to know if at times he was being deceitful or just didn't know.

One day at the day care that I dropped him off at, my concerns came into reality. One day Grandpa Joe talked the owners husband into opening the outside door a little bit saying he couldn't breath and needed some air. As soon as the door opened a crack, Dad took off. Yes this time Dad did know what he was doing.

It was a bit of relief to know that someone else could confirm that sometimes Dad would lie and be sneaky. That still doesn't help me always know the difference but it made me aware that I didn't have to be so hard on myself.

Please remember that you are only human, and you will make mistakes. But also remember that you love the person that you are taking care of and you would never intentionally try and hurt them. You are only looking out for them and their safely.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
http://www.mariefostino.com/
http://www.mariefostino.blogspot.com/

No comments: