Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Here is a little bit from my book: December 15, 2002

Just got back from running 3 miles. I had no idea how stiff my legs got from living in the hospital last week. Even thought I was working and kickboxing, I sat around more than usual. I woke up with aches on the right side of my body including my shoulder, arm, and leg. now I think it must be from using the belt I put around Dad's waist to help him walk. I didn't know I used so much muscle to do this.
Now we have a monitor in Dad's room so we can hear him get up or move around. I heard him get up and ran into his room. I put on his pants and shoes for him, while he cried, because he insists that he can do this himself.
I was told that Dad is not to lean down until his hip heals. Now he's telling me that there is a cut on the side of his hip and points it out. He keeps taking off the dressing and I keep putting it back on. I make him repeat after me, "My hip has to heal. My hip has to heal."
He has no clue that he was in the hospital last week, so I haven't taken off his white bracelets yet. This way I can prove to him that he was in the hospital and that is why his hip has to heal.
Now he wants to get up and I tell him he has to use his walker. Like a stubborn child, he puts his hands on his hips, and asks why. I repeat everything about his new hip and the doctor's orders. Then, surprisingly, he gets up, picks up the walker and walks pretty steadily down the hall. He is picking up the walker instead of rolling it and we pass the belt that I've been using to help him walk. He asks me, "What is this?"
I can't believe how well he is using the walker. Then he gets into his favorite chair and puts his hand on his head. He gets a very sad look and asks, "Where is my hair?"
Now this is bad. We can't find it. Dad is bald and wears a wig. Now Jimmy and Gina and I are searching the house for it and finally find it with his necklace and his rings. His eyes sparkled as he put on his wig, necklace and rings. I had to leave and cry some joyful tears to see him so happy.

Hope you enjoyed this entry.
Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press an imprint of J. A. Rock & Co., Pubs.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: