Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Alzheimer's Blogging:

This is a short film about Grandpa Joe toward the later stages of his Alzheimer's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dWlsgM9LA&feature=player_embedded

I have written a book, off the journal that I kept while taking care of Grandpa Joe. It does not hide anything. My husband and daughters put in some of their feelings. It is a hard decision whether to keep your family member at home or put them into a nursing home. My husband wrote how hard it was for him as dad aggravated him, and how mad he would get at him self as he got angry at dad. In my husbands words, "I'm not telling you to refuse this awesome responsibility. I am merely asking you to consider--with all the honesty you can muster--just how heavy a burden this task will be for you and your family."

Would I do it again? Yes
Would my husband do it again? No

Neither answer is wrong or right. After all we are all human with different kinds of tolerance/patience levels.

Many times on my ambulance I pick up a patient who has Dementia/Alzheimer's from a nursing home and notice on my face sheet they have a spouse living at home. That does not make them a bad person for putting their spouse there. They could not care for them so they did the next best thing.

I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: