Sunday, March 20, 2011

Alzheimer's Blog:

How long can one with Dementia drive safely?

Carol was a sales executive who spent a great deal of time on the road in the course of her business. Because her services were much in demand, Carol rarely had much time to visit with her children and grandchildren, but holidays were the exception. She always drove her son’s family to her daughter’s home in the next town, even in the worst weather.

That changed the day Carol became confused on the road, telling her son she didn’t recognize the highway and must have taken a wrong turn. It was Christmas Eve, and Carol had driven that stretch all her life, but now it looked strange and it worried her. She refused to go any farther, and insisted her son take over.

For the first time Carol and her family began to think about whether she could continue to drive, but the doctor was not surprised. He had expected this day.

When should a person with Alzheimer’s disease stop driving? Is it always necessary? After all, to some people it can represent a devastating loss of independence.

To continue this article click on the link http://www.alzheimersweekly.com/content/how-long-can-one-drive-safely

I remember when we moved into my father-in-law's house. My sister-in-law already warned us that she had taken his car keys away. The story goes he was driving and hit the back of one car and kept on going till he hit the back of another car. The police called my sister-in-law to come and get him and take him home. After that she hid his keys. When ever I would forget to lock my car, dad would get behind the wheel and try to figure out how to start my car, without my keys. It is sad but it is also true.

One day when I was driving him back from a lunch outing, we passed a semi. My father-in-law use to drive them. He scared me when he punched the dash board before he stated that he missed driving trucks. My heart broke. Luckily he forgot all about that a few minutes later.

I hope you find the article above helpful.
Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: