Sunday, March 13, 2011

Alzheimer's Blog

So the other day on my ambulance here is how it went. I get called for 73 yr old male patient at 300 am in the morning. His blood pressure is high like 200/100 and he has a temp of 102 which they found out at 200 am. I of course ask the nurses if they gave this patient his blood pressure medication and some non- aspirin for the fever and the answer was no because they want the doctor to see this.

So here is my patient, lying in bed sleeping.
"Sir," I say before I touch him. Drool is running from his mouth. He doesn't wake up. "Sir," I say again as I now touch his shoulder and he is startled.

Imagine you are this patient. You have dementia, sleeping and have no idea what is going on. A stranger is talking to you, telling you that you have to go to the hospital and all you want to do is sleep. You would have to be frightened, wondering why your space is being invaded. Why are two strangers picking him up, making him go to a gurney, out in the cold night air, and into an ambulance which is frightened looking than out into a hospital with nurses and doctors probing around you.

I did talk the nurses at the nursing home to give this patient his blood pressure medication and a Tylenol which of course his blood pressure and temp went down.

Just an insight for you to see what goes on sometimes with your loved one with dementia/Alzheimer's when at a facility.

Have a great day. And thank you for letting me take care of your loved ones on my ambulance.
Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprintt of James A Rock Pub., Co.
http://www.mariefostino.com/
http://www.mariefostino.blogspot.com/

No comments: