Thursday, May 20, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING

Today I met an 87 yr old female who was tired of being in nursing homes and wanted to be back home. Her main complaint was that the staff was treating her like she had dementia or senile. She lived at home alone until she fell and broke her right arm. Due to a disease that leaves her with soft, bent bones she has to be very careful. When I started to talk to her and ask her questions I did notice that she could not hear me very well. So I had to talk slower and louder. I told her how I was putting a blood pressure cuff on her to take her blood pressure and she said, "I know what you do with that, you think I'm stupid or something?" I apologized and listened to her story. She said that since she has been in the nursing home to heal, the staff doesn't talk to her very nice and treat her like she is dumb. "Just cause I can't hear all the time or even have trouble seeing doesn't mean I am stupid," she said.

I am writing this for you to have patience with your loved one or someone you have met and that just cause they can't hear you doesn't mean they have dementia.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: