Sunday, October 3, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:

One of the most frustrating things for the person with Alzheimer's disease is to engage in conversation. Normal exchange between friends and family becomes difficult for the Alzheimer's person. They have trouble understanding and exchanging words to become part of the normal exchange. Doing activities can help stimulate verbal skills and help the Alzheimer's person reconnect.

Some suggestions: Read stories out loud - find countries on the globe - talk about historical events - talk about their past and listen to their interesting stories - ask for advice

One of the things I did to reconnect with my father in law - I made a photo album. I started with when I married his son and revealed holidays and birthdays, things my father in law attended and hoped he remembered. It went on through having my children and the fun times he had with them.

Unfortunately as we went through the pictures my father in law had trouble figuring out who the people were, but he did do a pretty good job at finding his wife, although he kept asking for her, and unfortunately she already left to be with the Lord.

Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.marefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: