Saturday, October 2, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING:

So my husband has a fetish for rocks. I don't mean small ones but big rocks to decorate the yard with. When ever we go to a nature hike, he has to find one to bring back home with him. Of course we argue because the rock belongs to that trail and if everyone took a rock home the beauty of nature would soon be gone, and yet he usually wins.

He also has to keep the big rocks and small stones in a special order in the yard. If you live around Phoenix, you understand that our front yards are stones and not grass, or I should say very little grass. My grand babies also love to play in the stones, moving them, touching them with their ows and ahs. And it drives my husband crazy when he has to go and fix up the rocks that they disturbed having fun.

So I have decided that since his father died with Alzheimer's, there is a good possibility that he may get it. I am praying that he doesn't but it is hereditary. And I have come up with an idea to help keep him busy with a feeling of satisfaction. I will color the stones. Yep, I will make some green and some blue and some red and he can have fun keeping them in order. And when that restless time in the day comes I will try to keep him busy that way.

OK so I am being silly, but if your loved one has Alzheimer's you do need to find a way to keep them from feelings of uselessness and unproductiveness. Let them help around the house like folding the towels, or maybe sort buttons by shape and colors. I use to keep plastic dishes in the sink for Dad to clean when he was bored.

There is an educational service by Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc. They have a book called The Alzheimer's Activities Guide, A caregivers guide to daily activities for people with Alzheimer's Disease.

Hope this helps,
Sincerely,

Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: