Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:

So in my adventure with Alzheimer's and my father in law, I tried to think of ways to keep his mind in tack. I use to play cards with him. At first after I explained the nature of the games we were able to play just fine. We played simple card games like crazy 8. But in time he would forget what we were playing and I would explain the rules each time we would play. Finally he got to the point where he could not even hold the cards in his hands. So I would show him how to line them up on the table and I would have to learn to not cheat since I could see his cards. Soon it wasn't really crazy 8 anymore but just matching the cards.

I know this is a hard time for you. It is not easy to watch your parent whom taught you so much about life turn into the child. It can be frustrating, and you will have to learn to have more patience than you are use to. Don't give up and don't beat your self up. Use compassion and remember that MOMENTS are important. Remember you are not alone. Look for a good support group to help you vent and to get great ideas.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: