Monday, November 29, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:

My father in law died June 13, 2004. It was a hard day as we sat on the bed next to him, telling him that we loved him and to go to the light. It was hard to watch him as his mouth opened and gasped for air with each breath.

That morning, I changed his depends and washed his mottled colored body of purple and blue. "Is he suffering," kept creeping into my mind. He lay there completely lifeless except for the gasping of breath.

My mind did panic with the after thoughts of what maybe I should or could have done to prolong his life. What kind of quality of life would that have been for him.

I prayed hard for the Good Lord to please take Dad now. I knew he was ready. He told me so many times before this terrible disease took his mind completely away from us. Even though I wasn't.

Images of Dad shot into my head. Like the time I first met him, and at my wedding. Times like when he would come over and help my husband fix things on the porch and when he held his grandchildren.

Life goes on even when we wish it would stop. If only time could halt for a short while, so we could catch our breath and get ourselves back to order and than begin again.

Remember life is short. Don't take it for granted. Tell someone you love them. Do an act of kindness. And always pray.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: