Saturday, March 13, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:

Taking care of my father in law was an adventure. We had been there for a couple of months now, living in his home taking care of him. One week started out with my father in law demanding to know why he was in jail. I had asked him why he would think that, and he replied that he must have done something wrong. He apologized to me and said he had to go and find his people. The next day when I got off of work that morning I brought dad to the Adult Day Care Center. He was real upset with me during the ride. "Hey lady," he said, "you are going to be real upset with yourself! Wherever you are taking me, a cripple...well, what are the people going to think of you?" Of course I tried to explain to him where we were going, but he didn't understand. Anyway I dropped him off and went home for some sleep. I picked him up four hours later and the Dad had a big smile on his face. "So you must be Lady?" the aids said. It seemed that Dad was worried about me and wondered why I wasn't with him. He didn't remember my name, and Lady was the name he had chosen for me. Even though he would get upset with me, he seemed to know that I was taking care of him. As the week went along, he would say things like, he was not right, something was wrong. I hated to hear those words. Usually after that he would tell me to take him home. Taking care of a loved one with Alzheimer's is an adventure. But one that I would not have given up. I am so glad that I got to go on the ride. Life is short, so don't wait till tomorrow, be kind today.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
http://www.mariefostino.com/
http://www.mariefostin.blogspot.com/

No comments: