Sunday, April 4, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING: ALZHEIMERSBLOGGING

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE:

Today started out eventful as I got a call for a person with coffee ground emesis. I am getting called to a nursing home that is 30 minutes away. We finally showed up for our pt who was an elderly gentlemen, who has black around his mouth and nose. He had dementia, and told me he was not going with me. He could tell me his name, and his age and my partner asked me if we could take him because he has it all together. So I talked to the patient to prove he did not know the month of the year, and he told us he was living in this apartment for 27 yrs. My partner than started to understand that we needed to just help this patient the best we can with out his permission. We had to lift him up onto our gurney. And even though he would grab my hand and squeeze it and growl showing his teeth he never tried to get up. I had trouble because he would not co-operate but I did get his vitals, sugar and put oxygen on him.

Alzheimer's patients do not understand. Patience is what is needed. I am glad they called me instead of someone who would not have understood this patient. If your family member is in a nursing home, remember that they are doing the best they can.

Happy Easter. I am looking forward to getting off at 7 this morning so I can go to church and than have a fun time with picnic and softball game with family.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
http://www.mariefostino.com/
http://www.mariefostino.blogspot.com/

No comments: