Thursday, July 15, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging: Alzheimer's Blog:

I was thinking back to a few years ago when I was living with my father in law at his home and my oldest daughter came to visit us. She had brought her first born whom was only a couple of months old. Dad wasn't sure how to react with this baby in the house. He sat in his chair and watched us with the baby all the time smiling. So Kristina decided to show dad his grandson and placed the baby in his lap. Dad stayed very still while holding Damien, just smiling. For those few moments Dad seemed like a different person. He was still, like a statue, starring, thinking and smiled. I tried to explain to Dad that Kristina was his grandchild and this child belonged to her making Damien his great grandchild. Dad would smile and nod his head but I'm pretty sure he did not understand me. He finally looked up and pushed his arms forward, trying to let us know that we should take the baby back. It hurt to know that Dad would not get to know his great grandchildren. One of the pictures I have that I treasure is a five generation picture with Dad and his mother, Jimmy (my husband), Kristina and little Damien.

Remember it is the little things that we remember. Life is short so hang on to it and enjoy the gift of life you have been given.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: