Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging: Alzheimer's Blog:

So today my first call is a 63 yr old female with FAILURE TO THRIVE. Found her lying in bed, her eyes open but not focusing. Called out to her and she could not talk to me. Was told that was normal. I asked her to maybe blink or shake her head if she knew I was talking to her, but she didn't do neither. She had a temp of 101.3 with vomiting and diarrhea. I asked the nurse if they gave her any non aspirin to stop the fever and she said she was going to crush one and put it in her feeding tube but since I showed up they will just let the hospital do it. This pt has a big medical history, dementia, and has been in and out of nursing homes and hospitals for a while now. Plus she gets her nutrition from a feeding tube. I guess my question is what kind of dignity does she have now? Just food for thought.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: