Thursday, December 23, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:

Alzheimer's has many affects on people. Isolation I think is the biggest. Let me share with you my eventful experience on the ambulance yesterday.

I got a call for a man who tripped and hurt his left hip. We drove up to a care home. This is a house in a regular neighborhood, but the inside has several senior citizens living in side. We took out our gurney and walked up the walkway into the house. I asked one of the care givers what was going on and she told me to ask the gentleman sitting on the couch.

There was a man in his eighties sitting next to a women around his age. He told me he was coming to visit his wife of 32 yrs but he tripped on the lip by the front door and landed on his left leg. The women next to him smiled but her eyes told me she was lost. He looked at her with so much love in his eyes and reached for a kiss. She looked confused as he let his lips touch hers so softly and he told her he loved her.

Painfully we helped him on our gurney and went on our way to the hospital. I took his vitals, and got his vital information. Then I asked him if he was ready for the holiday. He looked at me with sad eyes. He informed me that they did not have any children and he was hoping to not be in the hospital for Christmas so he could spend it with his wife. Then he told me he was sort of lost even though he would be with his wife, his wife has no idea who he is.

Please if you know of someone who is taking care of a loved one with this disease, try and be there for them. They have a lot on their plate and could use any kind words of encouragement or even your company.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: