Friday, December 3, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:

So it is that time of year to decorate your house for that wonderful Christmas spirit. My daughter Regina helped me string up lights around the house with the sounds of Christmas music in the background. But my mind jumped to the first Christmas we had in this house when we moved here with Grandpa Joe. We moved him here to sunny Arizona after his mind made him forget where he was. He had no idea we moved and no idea we weren't in his house anymore.

It was December 2003, with my daughters Jessica and Regina putting up the lights outside in the front yard. My husband was stringing lights up on the roof and my granddaughter was in charge of putting up our little Christmas Village on the center island in the kitchen.

My father in law was sitting in his favorite chair fast asleep. It is a wonderful / sad memory. That was the last Christmas we were able to enjoy with him.

Yet as I think about my father in law, my heart jumps with joy at the times he acted as Santa Clause for my children when they were young.

It is a part of life to grow old. We don't ask to grow old, and we are not happy when we have trouble remembering things but unfortunately that is a part of life.

Remember life is short. Don't put off tomorrow what you can do today and tell someone you love them.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: