Saturday, December 11, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:

One thing you can rely on in life is change. I am looking back at my writings in December 2003. I had a lot going on at that time. I had my father in law suffering with Alzheimer's and a daughter going to Iraq to do her year tour.

Let me share with you December 27, 2003

Christmas is fun this year as we are trying to make it special in our new house in this new state. First, it is warm here. We lived in Oklahoma where the weather is always unpredictable--one day it's warm but the next can be cold. I remember putting up outdoor Christmas lights while bundled up in hat, coat and gloves one year and just a sweatshirt the next. Here in sunny Arizona, it is warm and Jessica and Regina are in charge of decorating the outside of the house. Jimmy is stringing lights on the roof and Adias is putting up our little Christmas town on the center island in the kitchen. Dad is sound asleep through all this.

Next is the chore of making Christmas cookies. I get plenty of help from Adias and, after they're baked, the girls all help Adias decorate them. Our tree is already decorated. Jennifer was told she wouldn't be here, so we celebrated Christmas early, in November. I got a small artificial tree this year and used patriotic decorations. This is the first time I have not had a real tree. I only had three of my children, along with my granddaughter, Adias, home for Christmas.

We are fortunate that Jennifer was able to come back for a few days at Christmas. We had church Christmas Eve and of course, watched It's A Wonderful Life. On Christmas morning we all opened our gifts. Dad just watched what was going on.

He took quite a bit of time opening his presents. He seemed to enjoy putting on his new hats but he really like the jars of cookies we wrapped up. Dad has always loved his cookies. I remember years ago, when Dad would just have coffee and cookies for breakfast before going to work.

The noise doesn't seem to bother him as he dozes off in his favorite chair.

Christmas dinner is always a delight with turkey and manicotti. This, of course, is still one of Dad's favorite things to do -- eat!

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: