Wednesday, January 20, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG:

Some of the signs of Alzheimer's is Memory Loss, Solving Problems, Difficulty Completing Daily Tasks at Home, and Confusion with Time and Place. I remember one day about a week after we moved into dad's home, we took a shopping trip to the store. Dad didn't want to go, so we left him at home. We thought it would be alright. We were gone for about an hour and a half. When we walked in I couldn't find dad. Than there he was, in the bathroom, with the top of the toilet tank off and water and feces in the bathroom sink and on the bathroom floor. Dad was real frustrated telling me he was trying to fix the toilet. It took some convincing, but I got him cleaned up and out of the bathroom, and than I cleaned the sink and toilet and mopped up the floor. Dad came by watching me telling me the toilet doesn't work, so I had to flush it and show him that it worked fine now.

It is so hard to see a loved one being so confused by this terrible disease. Dad has known how to fix a toilet for as long as I have known him. Yet that day he didn't know what he was doing. It hurt me to see him like that. Alzheimer's not only hurts the one you love but also hurts you. Please remember to get into a support group. Some times you need to vent, and only people who are dealing with what you are dealing with will understand. Also you could be the answer to someones prayers with a positive way to deal with the disease.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: