Sunday, January 17, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING:

It is so amazing how the mind works. As long as I don't look into the mirror, or think about my age, I can keep up with my kids. So I worked 24 hrs on Thursday. On Friday morning when I got off at 7am I came home and went straight to my daughters house to help her pack and move into their new house. Went back to work on Saturday for 24 hrs. On Sunday I did take a hour and a half nap, missed Sunday School, but did make church and went straight to my daughters old house and helped clean it up for the new people to move in. Now I am sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes. My mind let me keep up with my kids, with little and no sleep. But now my body is telling me, that I have to face consequences for my actions. I am not in my 20's or 30's any more and I do need my rest. UGH.

I think back to just a few years ago when I would be up all night with dad. I actually put a baby monitor in his room so I could hear when he got out of bed. I am a very light sleeper I guess because I had five children, and when I would hear the rustle of the sheets being torn away from the bed, I would be in his room before he was able to leave. One time he asked me how I knew he was up, because he was trying to be so quiet. Sometimes I would have my robe on and lay on his bed with him until I heard him snore, before I tiptoed back to my room.

The point is I was able to stay up with dad and not get sick, and now I am getting sick with out the proper sleep. I guess you can say that if you are older and taking care of a loved one with Alzheimer's it is important to take care of your self. If you get run down, bad cold, or just feel so worn out, how can you take care of them. Please try to get some respite care. Your time does not belong to you at the moment. You are to busy making sure that your loved one does not get hurt, and are safe.

I can go to sleep after this post, take some NyQuil and sleep the next twelve hours. Can you? Please put your health first and than your loved one. You both will be much happier.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: