Thursday, January 21, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING:

I am working on the ambulance today. It is very windy and really raining hard today. This is another reminder of Chicago weather. Man I miss the city of Chicago. The museums, Navy Pier, the Zoo, the beach, Sears Tower, and the wonderful food. No one has eaten good pizza until they have had it in Chicago. Than we heard that there is a tornado watch. Now I am reminded of Oklahoma.

Today I had a 93 yr old female whose 02 sats were 78% on room air and 92% on two liters of oxygen. She was so fragile, skin was so dry, I just wanted to empty a bottle of lotion on her. I was told she was there because of a hip fracture for pt/ot. This cute little lady could not tell me if she was in any pain or if she was having trouble breathing. She has dementia / Alzheimer's. We took her vitals, and did what we were suppose to do, and as we went outside we put our blue water repellent little blanket over her whole body and face to keep her from getting wet. She was so cute she just giggled. I was glad that I got to take this call. I love taking little old women who are lost in their mind and try to make them comfortable. Her family showed up at the hospital after we were there a few minutes. My partner and I got to show some random acts of kindness.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press an Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: