Wednesday, January 27, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG:

Today I am babysitting a couple of my grandchildren. My grandson is only 9 months old. My granddaughter is a little over 2 yrs. old. We are in the process of trying to toilet train her. And she wants no part of it.

This reminds me when dad started having trouble using the bathroom. First he could not do the snap or zipper anymore which really frustrated him. I went out scouting for some dress pants with no zippers or snaps and that was a hard job. I didn't want to put him in sweat pants or nylon pants because he never wore clothes like that before and I was trying to keep him as normal as possible. At night I would walk him to the bathroom, pull down his pants and set him on the toilet. Than I would put depends on him so that he would not wet the bed. I was still trying to maintain a regular schedule, making him do simple things around the house. I guess I was fooling myself, but I hoped a routine would keep him with us a little longer mentally. He deserved what ever I could do to maintain quality of life. It wasn't long after that when I had to start him on depends during the day. They have some that pull up like underpants, and he didn't even know the difference. I hope this may help someone who is experiencing the same problem.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: