Saturday, January 9, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING

As a caregiver we feel like we can take on the world. We are take charge people and don't think we need any help. I remember moving in my father in laws house, and slowly changing a few little things so I could feel comfortable and feel at home. I took out his dishes and put in mine. I rearranged the kitchen cabinets. Dad would watch me with a curious look on his face. At the same time I tried to respect his space, like for instance he didn't like to have the window shades open, so for him I would leave them closed.

It didn't take long before I was getting so exhausted. Watching dad was a 24 hr - 7 day a week job. He didn't sleep much, so I was constantly up in the middle of the night. I would than try my hardest to keep him on a schedule. Bath and shaving before breakfast. He liked his food so I would always have something like waffles and hash browns for him with is coffee. Than when he would nap I would scamper through the house making the beds, doing the dishes and cleaning the bath rooms. Soon it would be lunch and he would eat a big lunch and than would want to wonder. It took a lot of my energy just to make sure he would not get hurt. Of course the bewitching hour would come and sun downers would appear and I would really be busy. I thought I could do all of this myself, so what a surprise when I discovered I did need help.

Respite care is very important. I found a adult day care and after I called them and they came over to interview dad, I had him go a couple times a week for 4 hrs. But I soon discovered that it was not enough. I was working part time on the ambulance 2 nights a week and I was really getting tired between being up all night for work and being up a lot of the night for dad. So I eventually put dad in the adult day care for five days a week, 4 hours a day. What a difference I found getting that break each day. It felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders for those 4 hours. I could sleep, or read, or even spend time with my family.


So this blog is to tell you how important it is to get respite care. You can do it by finding an adult day care like I did, or you can find a nursing home that will take your loved one for a weekend to give you a well deserved rest, or even a family member to stay with your loved one so you can get a break. If you don't get your break, and you are really warn out, how are you really going to take care of someone else. So please take care of your self so you can take care of your loved one.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: