Friday, January 15, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG

Today has been a very eventful day. One of my daughters was moving out of her home to another one and so we spent the whole day packing and moving everything to her new house. I was a little tired since I just had gotten off my 24 hr shift, and went straight to work with her. But it is such a great feeling to know that we have her all moved in. Now she has the fun part of putting everything away.

This brings me back to the past when we lived in Chicago, and my husband had gotten a job in Houston. My father in law was there, helping us pack and load up the truck. I learned a lot from him for example, it gets dirty behind the refrigerator and the floor needs to get swept and mopped, and how to lift up the top of the stove to clean out the grease that had managed to spill there.

That was not the only time he had helped us move. Once we lived in San Antonio and he drove up in a truck and helped me pack and load our furniture in it and brought us back to Chicago. My father in law showed us what family does for each other. He showed the love he had for us and his grandchildren. I do hope today I am passing that on to my children. So today was an eventful day of helping a family member move and show a lesson that we are always there when we are needed.

I guess you can say that is one of the reasons I took care of my father in law when we discovered he had Alzheimer's. I did not want him some place alone and scared. I wanted to try to give back to him some of the love that he had given us through his life. It was not an easy job, but I am sure that when he came to help me move in San Antonio, it was not easy moving me and five children.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: